Monday, May 17, 2010

We Coule Be Heroes Just For One Day


As a kid I always wanted a superpower. It would have satisfied me to no end even if I was just Mathilda powerful (i.e.: capable of moving things with my mind). Alas I grew up as average as the next Joe but that didn't keep me from dreaming about it. Now that I'm older I would still love a superpower but I think that my superpower would be the ability to read minds.

I guess I should re-phrase my wish. I wouldn't want to read all minds all the time; that would be too loud. I would be a selective mind reader. It would be so useful for getting the truth out of people or those difficult conversations where you just don't know what the other person is really thinking. I think that this would be especially helpful in talking to my boss. Imagine you're in a meeting asking for a promotion, a raise, or whatever you have finally mustered the courage to ask about; your boss is just sitting there in the chair across from you with a desk the size of kitchen island between you staring at you with an intensity that rivals Madame Tussaud's creations and you're sweating like a contender in the Kentucky Derby when you remember that you know what (s)he's thinking! Access granted! You're in! I mean, honestly, what a useful skill to have. And of course, "With great power comes great responsibility" so there must be a downside to this power, right?

The one downside that I could think of would be that I would know 100% without a doubt what that person is thinking. Well DUH! I would only be concerned because what if you found out something you didn't want to know? But sometimes you find things out about other people that you didn't want to know anyway, so I guess it's all the same. Everything in life has it's positive and negative attributes so I guess this would also fall into the same category.

What superpower would you have?

1 comment:

  1. I like your thoughts here. I could totally see the benefit of that. And I love the idea of selective mind reading.

    For me with the way things are I wish I could see the future. What happens if I choose this path, what about this one, etc.

    ReplyDelete